Sunday, October 23, 2011

Twitter

Twitter: "In Silicon Valley, Twitter is already legend, one of those once-a-decade sure things, on the level of Microsoft or apple or Google or Facebook - that not only changes the nature of the world but eventually makes it hard to remember a world in which it didn't exist."

What I find astonishing about this statement (and about so many others in the tech world concerning this topic!) is that huge excitement about Twitter. It's difficult to argue against it, as it has certainly been one of the greatest success stories of start-up companies in our last decade, as the World Wide Web serves as an excellent breeding place for new internet platforms. But nevertheless there are so many people who don't even know what Twitter is! That's a phenomena that I've seen several times now. Twitter only seems to be popular among people of the IT branch. To tell you the truth, I know not one singe person of my circle of acquaintances who uses Twitter, compared for example to Facebook, where it seems that almost everybody uses it.

I use Twitter personally because it's a comfortable news source for me. Fast and short, from all the people and firms I'm interested in. But often the tweets are so short that you can't get much out of them. I would use twitter much more, if my friends would use it too. And that's the point were the social aspect comes in and and I must say, Facebook is, at least in our country, far superior in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment