Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Attitude towards aging

Cosmetic surgery is not a new phenomenon, but it seems to worsen more and more. Gone are the days when people, and especially women, could age with dignity without feeling embarassed for their wrinkles. Not so long ago, wrinkles were signs of a life full of experiences and wisdom, whereas today people do everthing to prevent getting them. Unfortunately, this trend made it over to Switzerland as well, and people started to spend their free time with Botox treatments instead of playing with their grandchildren and teaching them useful lessons about life.

In the last few years, a lot has been done to ease travel for elderly people, such as lowering the steps or raising the seats in order to make it easier for them to stand up again. In contrast to the transportation companies, people seem to make the life of the elderly even harder. Children and young adults seem to have lost any sense of courtesy towards older citizens. When I was younger, I was taught to stand up and clear my seat when somebody older than me entered the train or bus. Hopefully, people will realize that they will age as well and at some point of their life they will be appreciative for every kind gesture they can get.

1 comment:

  1. It's straight to the doctor's office when I get my first wrinkle. I wonder if my insurance will cover that.

    ReplyDelete