Monday, November 28, 2011

Why Do Sitcoms Giggle?

The Return of the Sitcom Laugh Track


“After a few years of silence, sitcoms are giggling again.”
http://nymag.com/arts/tv/features/laughtracks-2011-12/


This quote made me think of why do sitcoms have to giggle. I’m sure there was a reason to stop the giggling in sitcoms, but I don’t know the real reason for taking it up again. I love sitcoms and I have to admit that I’m addicted to watch them. But the thing I don’t get is why do creators have to add the laughs of the audience – which isn’t necessarily there when they’re filming. Isn’t it enough when people, watching the sitcom at home, are laughing? For me, the question comes up if the sitcom wouldn’t be as funny without the “artificial” laughter.
Anyways, those sitcoms are funny and I’m glad they are produced – with or without the giggling.

2 comments:

  1. I used to wonder about that too. I think sitcoms would be lonely without the laughter. Most viewers have grown accustomed to the sound. In the end, I agree with you - I'm just glad they still make good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit that I first had to watch a sitcom after reading this comment to hear the artificial giggling. As I was very much used to it, I didn't even realize it anymore. I wonder why they started with the giggling, I’m sure they had reasons for it. Maybe they did some tests and found out that people liked sitcoms more with the giggling, who knows.

    ReplyDelete